8/14/08

Why a Blog?

I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog for a while now. I have another blog here that I haven't touched for a while, but I'll probably get back on it in a little bit. The main reason I haven't touched it lately is because I wanted it to focus more on video about things I think generation X and Y might find interesting and useful, not so much on the life and writings of a young man who fancies himself nice with words. I really just got bored with it, because I wasn't writing at all on it.

The fact of the matter is, since I've been a journalist, I've encountered some pretty interesting people and situations, and when I tell some of my friends they get really into it. I've had the opportunity to see many of the ins and outs of the entertainment industry. Now, I'm not here to put anyone's business out in public. Privacy is very important to me, which is exactly why I chose to blog using Google's blog service. ... Is this thing on?

But seriously, I just want to give people a sneak peak into the life of an entertainment journalist, because people always get to see the end product, but rarely get a glimpse of what goes into making it all possible.

Another reason I wanted to blog is, because many times I read blogs I see instances of irresponsible journalism or just some that is not up to par. However, I understand that blogging isn't necessarily journalism, but that's no excuse. Everyone has a computer or a video camera, so everyone thinks they can do everything. In some instances it's great, other times, not so much. A former co-worker of mine said it best. "Technology made it easier for the sh-t to rise to the top," which is a huge reason as to why everyone is an "artist" nowadays. Hell, I make a little music myself, but my stuff is good. At least that's what my mom says, and she knows everything.

This is not a rumor or gossip blog. Though I won't pretend I don't read (and love) some of them. This is just a young writer making his way through the industry and some of the things that happen along the way.

I'll also talk about some of my past experiences like the time I interviewed Janet Jackson on my lunch break while I was working a 9-5 at a major Internet company, the time I interviewed Cassidy and spent most of our hour on the phone talking about religion (and a couple of careers he ended before they began, an exclusive), to the time my computer was stolen which prompted my move to L.A., to coverage of events I cover from time to time.

Other times I might just write about things that I believe are relevant to us, the young, cool and upcoming. That's where the "Life" part comes in. I think it kind of gives me permission to write about whatever I want. They say blogs should focus on one subject. If I did that I'd have 50 blogs, because I'm into a bunch of different things. Enough for vanity. I hope you enjoy. Thanks for reading.

My name is Aurelio Mitjans, and I approve this message.

No comments: